Restore Your Smile with Dental Crowns and Bridges
Dental crowns and bridges repair damaged teeth and replace missing teeth. Often made of tooth-colored porcelain, most dental crowns and bridges look like your natural teeth — so no one will ever know the difference.
Dental crowns or bridges can improve your smile by:
- Replacing missing teeth or covering a dental implant
- Filling in unsightly gaps and spaces between your teeth
- Repairing cracks and chips in your teeth
- Covering a discolored or poorly shaped tooth
- Covering a tooth that has had a root canal
Dental Crowns: What Are They For?
Also known as a “cap,” the dental crown is a tooth-shaped covering that is used to restore the strength, appearance, and/or function of a severely damaged or decayed tooth. Often the final option before tooth extraction is necessary, dental crowns are frequently applied during the final step in root canal therapy.
Other uses for dental crowns include:
- Holding together parts of a broken tooth
- Improving the appearance of a misshapen tooth
- Restoring the strength of a severely worn tooth
- Replacing a single missing tooth
Dental Bridges: When Are They Used?
While a dental crown can rescue a decayed tooth from extraction and replace a single missing tooth, the dental bridge is used only in tooth replacement. When not supported by dental implants, the dental bridge is secured in the mouth using the teeth that surround the gap as anchors for the prosthetic device that fits between. In this way, the bridge works just like it sounds — as a bridge between your natural teeth.
Dental crowns and dental bridges may both be secured by dental implants. For eligible patients, an implant-retained device is often the best option. Dental implants are tiny titanium cylinders that act as prosthetic roots and, by fusing with the jawbone, they provide unrivaled stability.
The benefits of replacing teeth with an implant-retained device include:
- Improved oral health
- More youthful facial appearance
- Freedom from denture adhesives
- Long-lasting tooth replacement